Saturday, August 10, 2013

Another day, Another ride

It was another busy week, so I was unable to get out for another ride until yesterday. I rode my old GT Karakorum mountain bike, which I've had for about 16 years now.

Riding a bicycle has been the most consistent part of my life for a long time. I've gone from electronics geek, to art student, registered nurse, seminary student, and pastor. I have spent time on two wheels the whole time. When I'm not able to get out for a ride, I am more susceptible to depression and worry. Yesterday's ride revitalized my spirit when I didn't even realize I needed it.

In seminary, I was taught many spiritual practices including prayer, study, worship, and service. While all of these have helped to grow my faith, riding a bicycle has been the best means of restoring my spirit. I'm more prone to fatigue when I am unable to go for a ride.

Last winter was more difficult for me, and I suspect that not riding my bicycle was part of it. I mounted studded tires on the Karakorum, but didn't use it. For this winter, I am going to get a fat bike. On some level, it seems kind of crazy when I already have eight bicycles. How can I think of such a thing when I have such an outrageous abundance of bicycles? Yet the cost of a fat bike seems reasonable for keeping my spirit in balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment