I went out for a ride on my Vision 40 recumbent bicycle. As I thought, the wider tires are wonderful! I'm not sure what ever started the trend towards narrower tires in the late 70s, but for most bicyclists, I think wider is better.
I've been reading the book Just Ride by Grant Peterson. In the book, he covers many developments in bicycle technology that had been driven by elite racing. Grant asserts that many of these developments have not been helpful for motorcyclists. Lower handlebars, narrow tires, and carbon fiber frames have done little to encourage average cyclists enjoy the activity more. While I believe it is true, I still slip into thinking of old racing standards when setting up my bicycles.
I've just about eliminated my use of clip-less pedals. Since I stopped using them, I no longer have need pain following long rides. Flat pedals have enabled me to stand while climbing a hill for the first time in many years. The only place I use clip-less pedals is with my recumbent. I'm debating a switch to flat pedals for this bike as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment