Monday, February 20, 2012

A short rant about touchscreens

I love my Nook Color. It's an android tablet configured to be an e-book reader. But after spending several months with it, I can't understand all of the excitement about tablets like the Ipad. Why do you want to spend so much time looking through your smeary fingerprints?


I have a small netbook (an HP Mini 1000) that is now running Ubuntu Linux. While the computer is very compact and travels well, it has nearly a full size keyboard. It can't do everything for me, but it sure does a lot.I'm also quite happy with the Unity desktop. It fits a 10" screen quite nicely without eyestrain.


 Is the need for a keyboard a middle age thing-- or do people not even see the smeary fingerprints?

2 comments:

  1. The solution is to keep a micropore cloth with your touchscreen device — they're fantastic at removing the oily fingerprints in a matter of seconds. And for me, it's the _book-shape_ of a Kindle or iPad that makes it more appealing as a reading device than even a tiny laptop. In the case of the iPad, there's a huge amount of function beyond mere reading — two words: Angry Birds! Yes, granted, I've drunk the Apple Kool-Aid… :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are correct Pat. For reading-- Ipad, Kindle, Nook.. the format is more pleasing for reading. I do find my non- touch Nook to be preferable to reading through the fingerprints caused by page turning.

    That said-- Lately, I find myself in a keyboard for writing. I really dislike using a touchscreen for this. Granted, one could purchase a bluetooth keyboard. However, the HP Mini 1000 with Ubuntu Linux is about perfect for writing.

    BTW: Angry birds is available for anything that runs Google Chrome

    :)

    ReplyDelete